Computers are an amazing tool for learning a new language. Today, your computer is the most powerful tool you have to enhance and accelerate your learning process.
Many of us have heard this idea from science that we only use 10% of our brain’s full potential. I would say the same thing for how people use their computers. Many students don’t realize how much faster they can learn if they actually took full advantage of their computers.
In this guide. I’m going to teach you all of the amazing things your computer can do to help you learn languages better and faster.
Buying a few accesories for your computer will greatly enhance your learning experience.
A good microphone greatly improves the quality of your lessons. Here are a few reasons why:
- Your teacher will hear your voice more clearly. This will allow him/her to give you more detailed feedback about your pronunciation.
- Bad microphones produce poor quality sound which is frustrating and annoying to listen to. With a good microphone, your voice will be more enjoyable to listen to which will make your teacher happier and more friendly 🙂
Here are my personal recommendations.
- Best option – CORSAIR HS50 – Stereo Gaming Headset – Link 1
- Cheap option – Logitech H110 Stereo Headset – Link 1, Link 2
All headsets for gaming are great options. This website often sells discounted gaming headsets. I’m not sure if shipping will be available in your country.
Do you actually like using that annoying mousepad?
Stop wasting time and get a mouse! A mouse will help you work faster and do more work in less time. I like these recommendations but you can buy any mouse that you want.
Here is a list of programs you will need to install on your computer. For some of these programs, I have written a separate guide to help you through the setup process.
- Zoom – for doing video calls.
- Skype – for backup if Zoom isn’t working
- Firefox – Google Chrome is great, but sometimes we need to use Firefox.
- See tutorial: Install Absolute Enable Right Click & Copy for Firefox
- Anki Flashcards – This is the only flashcard tool you will ever need. This is what my website is all about.
- See tutorial: A QUICKSTART GUIDE TO LEARNING WITH ANKIMASTER
- Evernote – the best notetaking system in the world! I use this with all of my students. You can use the free version.
- Greenshot – for taking screenshots.
- See tutorial: Installing and setting up Greenshot
- Frequency Dictionary – this will help you prioritize your vocabulary
- See tutorial: Upgrade your vocabulary with Frequency Dictionaries
For English only
- Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English Software Dictionary.
Organize your Applications
You need to be able to access these applications easily. Put all the shortcuts in one place on your desktop. This is your English Toolbox.
These apps are also helpful but not required.
- Sumatra PDF Reader – a much faster PDF viewer for Windows
- Audacity – for recording audio
- ComicRack – a comic book reader
Other important files and documents
- Frequency Dictionary. THIS IS YOUR MOST IMPORTANT TOOL. Your frequency dictionary will be your vocabulary guide. It will tell you which vocabulary is important so you don’t waste time studying English that isn’t common.
- See tutorial: Frequency Words